Another weekend, another baby shower, another baby quilt…
This one ranks right up there as one of my favorites so far. Honestly I love them all, but I love how this one came together.
The mother is Japanese, and the baby (currently being referred to as “Pumpkin”) is a girl, so when I saw this pattern my adrenaline level spiked a little bit. I was determined to incorporate it into the finished product.
I finished the embroidery several weeks ago, and then my life got incredibly busy and I completely abandoned the project.
With a week (yes, one week) to go before the shower, I figured I should get cracking on the rest of the quilt. I didn’t want to detract from the embroidered panel, so I opted to just frame it using a log cabin-style pattern.
I was using scraps from my stash, so as I progressed and the framing pieces got larger, I started running out of fabric. I improvised and made half frames for some of the layers.
For the quilting, I just echoed the frame lines with straight stitching.
I was seriously, seriously running out of time when it was time for the binding, so I used purchased double-fold bias tape.
I think one of the reasons I love this one so much is that it was created without a plan, under pressure, required A LOT of improvising, and has more unintentional “spirit beads” than I care to think about. But despite all that, it turned out beautiful (if I do say so myself).